Friday, June 15, 2012

Turkey Vegetable Quesadillas

So usually when I think of quesadillas I think of tortillas and cheese with maybe some seasoned chicken and a confetti of chopped peppers but these quesadillas are not that. In fact when describing these quesadillas to my boyfriend, he said that they did not sound like quesadillas at all. Well people who read my blog, I would like to assure you that as the recipe states, these are in fact quesadillas and they are actually good for you. I found this recipe through foodnetwork.com's "Healthy Eats"(http://blog.foodnetwork.com/healthyeats/2009/11/27/5-ingredients-leftover-turkey-quesadillas/). I had just come from the most intense yoga session ever and was starving. Naturally I wanted something Mexican but I was also craving something really green. I knew that a lot could be done to a quesadilla to trick it out and make it healthy and still keep those Mexican flavors that I love so much (LA girl right here). There wasn't a ton of prep and it cooked quickly so luckily I wasn't starving for long!

What was cool about this recipe was that it was basically a "dump every vegetable in your fridge in this quesadilla" quesadilla. The author of the recipe used broccoli and parsnips but talked about how she had made this before with spinach and mushrooms and green beans. Don't think that putting all of those things in a quesadilla is weird! I have a friend who likes to put tomatoes and lettuce in hers (and only that). Well I didn't have parsnips or green beans but I did have spinach, broccoli, and mushrooms!


Literally the only prep that I had to do.

Okay so I had to cook the broccoli and mushrooms and spinach too. Just until the broccoli was really green and the mushrooms were soft.

Then I seasoned the vegetables. I basically just shook a little of each over them. Wasn't so sure about the cumin at first because I'm not the hugest fan but it was worth it.

Your tortilla will get warmer a lot faster if you let the pan rest on the heated stove for a little before putting the tortilla on it by the way.

I like for my quesadillas to be extra cheesy. Put as much cheese as you like.

I usually only make vegetarian things for myself at home, but this time I decided to follow the recipe totally and put turkey on my quesadilla. It gave it a lot more substance and a panini like quality!

Then I put my seasoned vegetables on top. See how the cheese is all melty? Mmmm

Put another tortilla on that baby and flip it over. Pretty right?

Okay so cutting it was a little difficult but this is the finished result!

Oh my gosh it was delicious.
Basically I had like two bites before I made my mom try it. Yes, it was that good. The paprika and cumin gave it a really nice flavor that without it would have made the quesadilla bland. So even if you aren't too keen on cumin, (because I know I'm not) it really makes the dish. The cheese was all melty on the broccoli and the mushrooms and spinach gave it substance and a really warm earthy flavor. I would make this again because it's a sneaky way to get protein (turkey), and vegetables into your diet simultaneously. Plus it was so easy to make that I know when I go back to school in the fall I will be making this quesadilla and versions of this quesadilla all the time.

----------------------------------------------------

So sorry I didn't post yesterday even though I said I would! I was busy I swear. I did however manage to make vegan brownies with one of my oldest and favorite friends. Did you know that you can substitute one egg for one banana?
That is lovely Jenny making our brownies extra chocolate-y
Tonight I am going to my favorite deli in California, Brent's. We aren't even going to the schleppy one in Northridge but to the nice one in Westlake! So I will definitely be blogging about that tomorrow! Keep your eyes peeled and happy almost Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment