Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Brent's Delicatessen


Brent's Deli is the best deli in Los Angeles. It's also probably the best deli in California. I know there are those of you faithful to Nate N' Al's, but let's be honest, Brent's has got it all: the atmosphere, the patrons, the menu, the halva... I am a big deli person. I enjoy the experience of being brought a plate of kosher dill and bright green new pickles to start off my meal. I like fresh, hot, rye bread and everything bagel chips. I like matzo balls and kreplach in my soup. I like having the option of a knish and koogle or a pastrami sandwich (the best pastrami sandwich in town might I add). To me, this is comfort food at its finest. This is the food of my childhood. My own mother always made koogle for our Yom Kippur feast and I can't even begin to count the relatives who have made for me their secret matzo ball soup and/or gefilte fish recipe. Every time I go to Brent's, or any deli really, it's a big piece of my culture and a little piece of home.

Now if you aren't Jewish like me, (or even if you are) Brent's has amazing breakfasts and sky high sandwiches as well as hamburgers and salads. Their desserts taste as good as they look too.



So on Saturday, my family took my grandparents here for dinner. This is what I ordered!
A giant bowl of kreplach soup (which I shared with everyone at the table it was so huge). Kreplach is basically a giant dumpling. The outside is this thick chewy delicious noodle and the inside is ground beef. The broth was insane. I basically crave this soup all the time.

This is a brisket sandwich. I got a half sandwich/soup deal going on as you can tell. This brisket can almost compete with my cousin's...Almost ; ) The potato salad was perfect by the way. 
If you like black and white cookies (which I do) then they are to die for at Brent's. My sister and I however, shared a raspberry hamentashen (see row two, the triangular cookie next to the one covered in rainbow sprinkles). Basically you're supposed to eat them for Purim but my sister and I like to eat them all year round. 
Since Brent's is my favorite west coast deli, I'm going to have to go with Carnegie as my favorite back east. I have yet to find my favorite deli in Chicago! I hear Manny's is pretty great. I'll have to go see for myself. Keep your eyes peeled for my next post!

1 comment: